Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Questions about Paraguay - Part 1

April asked: What is the population of Paraguay? When was it founded? What is the average family income?

- The population of Paraguay is around 6.3 million
- It was founded August 15, 1535
- The average man makes around $120/ month. The average woman makes around $70/ month.

* Do people seem to be as technology driven as we are or do they choose to live without it?

- The people of Paraguay are definitely not driven by technology. Most people don’t own a computer or home phone. I have noticed that just about everyone has a cell phone. That was something that surprised me when I first came here. I don’t see people talking on them often but they text all the time. And that really comes in handy. Texting has been a great way to send invitations and reminders. A lot of people even reply to let you know if they’ll be there or not.

I’ve been in a few houses that do have small televisions. You’ll never see a giant flat-screen TV in a house here. However, they are all over the malls. That was a little shocking. TVs in the elevator, in the bathroom, everywhere at the mall. I’m not sure how it is in the city but here in the country, people can’t afford to live that kind of lifestyle.

* I've read from several people that no one is ever in a hurry and there's a lot of time to just sit and enjoy each others company. How do they do it?

- That’s one of the things I love the most about the culture here! You hear that and read it but until you have actually been here and experienced it, it’s hard to comprehend that it really is that way.

Don’t take that as they have nothing to do and just sit around all day. They are extremely hard workers. They still get the things done that need to be done. But they don’t get in a hurry.

Someone can stop by to visit at any time. And when they do, you stop whatever you’re doing and you visit with them. The “things” are not what’s important, they people are. I think this goes hand-in-hand with the question about technology. Their lives are not filled with technology. So they’re able to build relationships in a way I’ve never seen before. Sometimes it may be a little frustrating when things start an hour later than you expected. But the way they treat their time definitely enriches their relationships. And it’s a healthier choice, less stress, less worry.

I really don’t know how to answer the question “how do they do it?” They don’t do it….it’s who they are. It’s the culture and the way of life. I love it! I want to write more about it, incorporate it into my life when I get home. I have learned so much since I’ve been here on relationships and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment