Monday, January 11, 2010

Encouraged!

The church here doesn’t have Sunday morning service. They have Sunday night service and then just about every night of the week, either at church or at someone’s home. Last night we walked to church. Thank God it rained a little before time to leave but it was still pretty hot.

The way people greet each other here is by putting their cheek to yours and doing a little “air kiss” on each side. They are all so friendly. When you enter the room, you have to greet each person, or it is seen as an insult. The people here don’t care about personal space. They get very close to you. Which I don’t mind that at all.

The only song I recognized was Here I am to Worship. I had a paper with the words in Spanish but I couldn’t read them fast enough. So I sang in English very softly so no one would hear. The message was on Ephesians 5:15-20. I’m so thankful for Christie! She sat beside me and whispered everything to me in English.

There were a few people who got up and testified and one who sang a beautiful song (though I have no idea what the words were.) Saul testified and then read something that maybe he had written. It was like what God was speaking to him. He said something like, “When you feel alone, then you will find me.” I found that so encouraging! It spoke exactly to how my heart feels. I feel very alone in my journey and my ministry (as far as not having another person to walk with me.) But I know it is in this “alone” time that I will find more and more of God!

After church four of the youth came over and hung out for awhile and ate with us. At first, I was extremely uncomfortable but I finally was able to relax and just enjoy the company, though I couldn’t join in for much of the conversation.

The other day I was watching some of a Spanish DVD. The guy on the DVD quoted Philippians 4:13. He said that if you ask God to help you learn another language, He will help you. I know that doesn’t mean I don’t have to work at it and try. It means that I have God’s help and strength.

It’s funny. The bugs haven’t bothered me as much as you’d think they would. I’m sitting on my bed in the dark with my laptop open and there are little bugs all over it, even a tiny grasshopper was on my keyboard earlier. And I’m ok with that :)

2 comments:

  1. Does it seem that what you are experiencing is God's design of what chuch was supposed to be. The western civilization has totally screwed up the idea of what God intended a church service is supposed to look like.

    Someone bring a song, someone bring a word, someone bring a prophecy. Everyone bring encouragement and a testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bugs do sort of start to grow on you, huh?!?! But hopefully not literally.

    ReplyDelete