Thursday, March 11, 2010

I scream like a girl!


I just posted that about how the bugs don’t bother me much. God reads my blog and my mind. I think maybe He thought He’d have some fun this week and see just how tolerant I can be of His little creatures.

Tuesday we took a trip to a nearby park. On the way there, I saw a huge spider web with a huge spider in the middle of it. Within a few minutes, I had counted about 4 of these that I had seen in trees on the side of the road. When I can see it riding down the road, that’s way too big for it to be anywhere near me.

As we walked the trail at the park, we sent the guys in front of us so if there were any spider webs, they would knock them down first. It didn’t always work out that way. At one point, Christie walked through one of the webs and the spider fell down right across her face. I think I would have died right then.

One of the guys who went with us actually got bit by one. He was knocking it out of the way and it bit his finger. He was just as calm as he could be about it. Apparently they’re not deadly because he didn’t die.

There were too many to count, all along the trail. Once, everyone just sort of stopped and stood there looking at me. That scared me because I knew there must be a reason for it. Christie said, “Look right above your head.” I said, “No, that’s okay.” I looked anyway. I couldn’t move. I just stood there for a minute staring at the big scary spider. Then I took a picture if it. I didn’t scream yet because that one wasn’t moving.

Later on, while we were all in the water, I looked over and saw one on Caroline’s flip-flop that was sitting on a rock right beside us. I pointed it out. One of the guys tried to hit at it. When he did, the spider jumped into the water and was moving toward us. I took off running and screaming. I don’t know that I have ever screamed like that. The boys were able to chase it down and kill it.

I hate spiders! The ones in the house don’t bother me much because they’re much smaller than the ones we saw that day. The ones in my room just stay on the ceiling. They’re high ceilings and I believe the spiders stay up there all night long. They may not but just let me believe that they do.

The park was so pretty! I mentioned that we should go there and camp sometime….then I thought about the spiders and changed my mind. When I was little, I prayed every night that there would be no spiders, ants, or bugs anywhere on me or near me during the night. Seriously I did….and to be honest, sometimes I still say that prayer. I can not handle the thought of things crawling on me during the night.

Last night we were sitting out on the porch and a cricket flew up on the porch. Yes, it flew. I’m not making it up. The crickets here fly. The frogs walk and the crickets fly. It flew on me….and again, I screamed like a girl. Yes, I know, I am a girl. But it’s still funny. I didn’t know I screamed like that until this week.

2 comments:

  1. You are much braver than me Hollie! I would have passed out or maybe even had a heart attack and died if one those things came anywhere near me!! I enjoy reading your posts now that I found your blog!
    But I hate to tell you...you've always screamed like a girl! :)
    Love you!
    Portia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete