Monday, March 8, 2010

Lizards, Bugs and Frogs, Oh My!

Some of this may fall under the category of “things you don’t blog about.” I’m not a good blogger. I don’t like to have to sensor myself. I’d rather tell it all. But I know that’s not always appropriate.

We have tons of bugs and creepy crawly things here. When it gets cooler at night, all sorts of strange things come out. And they’re not like what we’re used to at home.

Lizards - We have normal looking lizards here but we also have these teeny tiny ones. From their head to the tip of their tail they’re no more than two inches long. They’re so cute. They don’t bother me much because they run fast. And if you get close to them they run. So I’m pretty sure they won’t try to get on me. The only time I was freaked out by one was when it was in my bed. It was actually in a plastic bag that I sat on my bed. It crawled out of the bag and under my sheet.

The bigger lizards, I call medium-sized because I’m sure there are bigger ones somewhere here that I haven’t seen yet. They like to crawl into the dining room. I always see them on the wall or the window. One night I was sitting at the table and I saw one crawl in through the window. Then another one crawled in. There was a third one also but it stayed on the outside of the glass. I thought I had just stepped into a National Geographic show on lizards when I realized what was going on. Now of course I’m not going to describe it, only to say it was one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen. I sat at the table with both hands over my mouth. I couldn’t wait till morning so I could tell Christie about it. I warned her first that what I was about to describe was a little gross but I felt like if I had to see it, I had to at least tell someone else about it.

Bugs - There are these bugs here that are very strange. It’s like once they land, they die. They’re not very big at all. They’re black, with wings. They come out a lot when it’s cooler. A few nights ago I think they decided to have a party in my bedroom. I had my light on, which I do most nights before bed. There are usually bugs flying around the light but never anything like this. I had been on the computer for awhile. When I went to my room to go to bed, I noticed the whole floor was covered in these bugs. It was like a sheet of bugs across my room. I looked at the curtain over the doorway and it was also covered. I then looked at my bed. My sheet was covered from top to bottom. There was no way I was getting in that bed. I took a sheet and blanket that were not on the bed and were free of bugs and slept on a mattress in Camille and Caroline’s floor. The next morning I explained to them why I was there.

Frogs - We have several different kinds of strange frogs here. The big ones outside really freak me out. They don’t hop, like a normal frog. They actually walk. Like with one foot in front of the other. When we come home at night, there may be 4 or 5 of them on the porch and sidewalk. If they start walking toward me, I want to run.

There are also these little flat ones. I haven’t had one on me but I’m told that if they jump on you, they suction to your skin and you can’t get them off. I see them a lot on the bathroom wall. One night I took a shower with one on the ceiling. I kept my eye on him the whole time. I tried not to move around a lot because I wasn’t sure if he could see me too.

Last night I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I turned the light on and saw that there was a frog sitting on the sink. He was just sitting there looking up at me. It was a different kind than I had seen here before. He was small but not flat. I thought about it for a minute and then decided that my teeth could wait till morning.

One day I took a shower with a frog on the wall, a beetle on the floor, and a praying mantis sort of thing that kept hopping on my leg. I’m learning to become tolerant of all God’s creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment