Friday, March 19, 2010

Out of Character

One day Christie and I were talking and I mentioned that I’m the shyest person I know. She said she was really shocked. She knows I’m very quiet here because of the language and cultural differences. She was surprised at that because I flew 5,000 miles from home to live with a family I had never met before. She said that even before I came here she thought about what a brave person I must be. I’ve never been accused of being brave before either, quite the opposite.

Sometimes I just sit and think about this whole experience and wonder how in this world it’s happening to me. I think it’s funny to think about how comfortable I have been with the Hagermans from the very first day they picked me up from the airport. Before I came here, I felt like I had already known them my whole life. Normally, I would be nervous even spending the night with someone for the first time. But I never got nervous, worried, or uncomfortable about coming to live in someone else’s house. They have done a fantastic job of making me feel like part of the family.

When things seem a little hard and I get overwhelmed, I have to remember that this was all God’s plan, not mine. Most of you reading this know me personally and probably have known me my whole life. You know that I would not come up with an idea like this on my own….and if I ever did, I would never follow through with it. I’m a quitter. When things get tough, I quit, I give up. This is a quality I don’t want to possess. But I have to admit that so far in life, that has been my way of handling things.

I want God to teach me perseverance. I know it’s a little risky to say that or to pray that. It’s like asking for patience. You know He doesn’t just hand it you, He will start trying your patience more than ever. Asking for perseverance is sure to bring testing and temptation to quit. I love these verses in James 1.…Whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be STRONG IN CHARACTER and READY FOR ANYTHING. I had a homework assignment last week. Part of it was to write down what qualities and characteristics I need to have in order to do what God has called me to. The first two I listed were courage and perseverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment