Friday, February 26, 2010

A Lot of Time in the Kitchen


I love being in the kitchen….cooking, baking, washing dishes, whatever. I’ve gotten to cook and bake a lot lately. It’s fun to create new dishes and make up a meal with whatever random things you have in the fridge.

If you’ve ever been in a kitchen with me, you know that I don’t like to share my kitchen. This is something I’ve been working on. I really enjoy cooking with Camille and Caroline. It just takes some time getting used to letting others help. I apologized to Caroline yesterday for all of the times I seem impatient. I explained to her that this is a big step for me, letting others in my space and my kitchen. She seemed to understand. And I promised that I would get better at it.

A few days ago, Camille asked if we could bake something together. We chose a cookie recipe with oats, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and M&Ms. We had all the ingredients we needed and started preparing them. That’s when we realized we didn’t check to see how much of each ingredient we had. We were short on several different things….butter, oats, baking soda, chocolate chips, peanut butter. So we just used all we had of those. When we got it all mixed together, it was very runny and there was no way we could make normal cookies out of the dough. So we just poured it into a baking pan and made a cookie-cake-thing. It was so delicious! I think it turned out much better than it would have as cookies.

Yesterday was a very cold day (I’ll tell about that in another blog) and we wanted something warm for lunch. Caroline and I made chicken and dumplings. I had never even attempted those before. The recipe seemed simple and quick. And they turned out great!

Last night I was craving something fried and decided to make tortillas. What they call tortillas here are nothing like what we call tortillas at home. They’re made with flour, egg, milk, and cheese. Milciades taught Heather and I how to make them last week. This was my first time trying it on my own. The first four turned out a little bland, so I added salt to my batter. They rest were fantastic. It’s not really a good thing that I learned to make them. I’m sure they’re very unhealthy but they’re so yummy! And very easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment