Friday, April 2, 2010

A Small-Town Girl in a Big City


Even though we had done research on Uruguay and even put together a PowerPoint presentation, I was not prepared for what it was actually like. Montevideo is the capital, with a population of one million people. If it had not been for the language, I don’t know if I would have believed we were still in South America. It was definitely the largest city I’ve ever been in.

It was beautiful there! The day we arrived was the first day of Fall. And it actually felt like Fall. There are beautiful trees there, amazing parks, fountains everywhere. The architecture is amazing, beautiful buildings, wooden doors, stained glass windows.

My favorite thing, of course….there are bakeries everywhere, tons of desserts. Here in Paraguay they don’t eat desserts like we do at home. Even the cookies we make are too sweet for some people here. So it was incredible to see all the desserts and sweets there. I didn’t try any of them that I didn’t love. All the food was very different. More variety. I got to eat fried fish one night. I was very excited about that. We ate pizza three times while we were there. So far, the best pizza I’ve ever eaten has been here in South America.

We met a lot of really wonderful people there. They made sure we had plenty to do during our stay there. One night I attended a college class with two of the girls I met. It was a law class. Law + Spanish = I was extremely lost. I just sat there writing in my notebook the whole time. The teacher never even noticed I was there. After class, they took me to McDonald’s. Both McDonald’s I went to there were like “super McDonald’s.” They were huge, with two levels, and a huge indoor play place. Much nicer than any I’ve ever seen in the US.

We could walk from where we were staying down to the beach. It wasn’t a nice beach or anything but it was a pretty walk down there. One day I laid under a tree by the beach and took a nap. That was really nice.

I love the vendors on the street, selling everything you can imagine. The sidewalks sort of freaked me out at times. There were people everywhere. We rode the buses a lot. The buses there are so much nicer than the ones here.

I do plan on writing some more about our trip to Uruguay. Stayed tuned….

No comments:

Post a Comment